flying thousands of miles

21413004I am now on my way back to Taiwan.  After I brought my brother back from his three month visit to Taiwan, I was blessed to be able to stay in the States for about another month. 



Here is a little Q&A to fill you in a little more on my trip.



Q: How far apart are your two homes?
A: As the crow flies, I think my home in the States and my home in Taiwan are around 8,000 miles apart.



Q: How long will it take you to fly back to Taiwan?
A: Well, the easy answer is "about a day."  If you want the long answer, keep reading, I will leave my home about 3 hours before my Austin plane departs; then fly to LA (about 4 hours) and have a small layover in LA; then fly to Taipei (about 13 hours, and I also lose a day by crossing the International date line) and have a small layover; then fly to Kaohsiung (about 1 hour); then go though customs and immigration; then find my former student who is picking me up and drive home (about an hour).  So, I leave my Texas home at about 9 on Tuesday morning and arrive at my Taiwan home at about 1 in the morning on Thursday.  C.R.A.Z.Y!!



Q: What is the time difference between Taiwan and Texas?
A: Taiwan is 13 hours ahead of Texas.  So, if it is 1 AM on Thursday in Taiwan, it is 12 noon on Wednesday in Texas. (Well, that is right now before Daylight Savings time changes it to 14 hours ahead).



Q: What do you miss most when you are in the States?
A: Gilby and friends.  Also, I enjoy having a break from teaching, but it doesn't take long for me to begin to miss being in the classroom.  I also miss
hearing and using Chinese.



Q: What do you miss most when you are in Taiwan?
A: Family and food--in that order. ;)

21413737Q: What is your fave Taiwanese food?

A: Uh . . . is that really possible to answer?  Which meal are we talking about?  Does fruit count?  There are so many wonderful foods in Taiwan!!  But, I know I can't wait to have the stuff that a street vendor sells right down the street from my house.  I'll show you a picture of it the next time I eat it. Ok?



Q: What American food do you miss most?
A: Beef, milk, cheese.  I also really miss good Tex-Mex, Cesar salads, and a good grilled burger.  And . . . Diet Dr. Peppers (does that count as a food?).  And, Blue Bell ice cream.



Q: What is the toughest adjustment to being back in the States?
A: Not being stared at.  Why is no one looking at me?  Am I not special anymore?  And, all the choices!!  Oh, and being clueless about pop culture stuff--anywhere from names of people in the news to why are pomegranates so popular this summer?



Q: What is the toughest adjustment to going back to Taiwan?
A: In previous years, it takes me awhile to get back into the groove of using Chinese again.  And, this year, I know that I have no time really to "get over" jet-lag--I have to be at work on Thursday, and start teaching Monday morning!



Q:How long will you be in Tawian?
A: I don't know.  This is the first time I have purchased a one-way (not round trip ticket) to Taiwan.  I know my contract at the school is good through one more school year; but, I will keep living there until God leads otherwise.



Anything else you wanna ask me?  I would be happy to tell you more--so please feel free to ask away.  (And remember, no question is too trival or mundane.)  Just be patient in waiting for the answer; I don't have internet access while flying over the ocean. ;)




1 comment:

  1. Hi Amanda ~ Happy flying! Here are my questions:
    What did you enjoy most about your younger brother being with you this summer? What will he do with all his new knowledge of a foreign country, and how do you think it changed him, if it did?
    Do you think your parents would ever fly over to visit you? (However, maybe they have in the past, and I didn't read your blog back when you posted those blog entries.)
    What did you bring back with you from the US that you can't find in Taiwan? Any books? Any new clothes or food items? Or maybe Taiwan is so modern and well-stocked that you can find everything you need there!
    Why are pomegranates so popular this summer? I'm clueless, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...