17 facts about taiwan
1. Taiwan is a small tropical/subtropical island located off the east coast of China between Japan and the Philippines.
2. Taiwan is less than 400 km long and about 150 km wide.
3. Taiwan is slightly smaller than Maryland and Delaware combined (13,869 sq mi).
4. Taiwan is home to almost 23 million people.
5. Two-thirds of Taiwan is rugged mountains, meaning most of the people live in the ever-expanding crowded cities.
6. Taiwan, with 625 people per square km, is the second most densely populated nation on earth (Bangladesh is 1st.).
7. Jade Mountain, at almost 13,000 feet is the highest peak in East Asia.
8. Right now it is the year 95 in Taiwan (dated from the establishment of the Republic of China in 1911).
9. Mandarin Chinese is the official language; Taiwanese, Hakka, and Abrigional languages are also spoken.
10. Taiwan is an interesting mix of the old and the new, the East & the West, technology and tradition.
11. Taiwan is the world's largest producer of computer goods.
12. The two major cash crops in Taiwan are rice and betel nut (also called 'green gold').
13. There are 10 million motorbikes in Taiwan (1 for every 2 people).
14. Taiwan has more cell phones per head of population than any other country (111 cell phones per 100 people in 2005).
15. Taiwan has more temples per head of population than any other country (over between 16,000 and 18,000 registered temples).
16. A mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and folk beliefs are practiced by most Taiwanese.
17. Less than 2% of Taiwan's population is Christian.