the "wei ya"

Weiya_foods Some of the tables at the WeiYa



Every year before the Chinese New Year Break, companies hold a "weiya" banquet for their employees.  There is a several course meal (we had at least 10 dishes) and nice door prizes (everything from cash to a washing machine) handed out raffle style. 



Oh, and all banquets in Taiwan (every one I have been to and seen, including wedding banquets) have people sitting on (red) plastic stools in groups of ten at round tables covered in pink table cloths--usually outside.  There were probably 20+ tables at our weiya, so that means around 200 people participated.  A benefit of sitting 10 to a table is that foods can come in groups of ten--ten stuffed mushrooms, ten little lobster trays.



To see more pictures from this year's weiya at my school, go to my flickr account.



3 comments:

  1. Ohhh...I love to hear about other cultures! It's so fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the photos makes me so so so..... hungry.
    My husband and I might come back to Taiwan in April or May.
    My family will host a wedding banquet on the street for us. You are invited!
    I am so excited! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire: OK!! :)
    I bet you are excited! That is great. How long has it been since you were in Taiwan? I can't remember if you said if your husband was Candadian or if he was CBC . . . so either (a) has he ever been to Taiwan before or (b) when was he last in Taiwan (which ever one is appropriate)? :)
    And, I can't go to your bookofclaire--is it a private blog?
    thanks for often stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...