congee

Flowered Egg and Chicken Congee



This "rice soup" is known in the west as "congee."  In Chinese it is called 粥 (pronounced zhōu, or in easy-English-spelling "joe").  "Joe" is a kind of "rice porridge." 



This one here is with "flowered egg" and chicken; well, as you can tell it also had veggies in it too.  I really like this kind of "joe."  It is much better than plain white "joe."  When I had food poisoning--about a year ago--all I ate for three days was white "joe."  So, "joe" has a very fond spot in my heart.  I will always be grateful for "joe"--it all its wonderful varieties.*  



But there is a problem, "joe" is VERY HOT . . .and now it is summer time and well . . . very hot foods just aren't as appetizing as they were a month or two ago. 



So, this here might be my last bowl of "joe" for awhile. :)



*Well, except for the "thousand year old egg" variety. (Thousand year old eggs are the only thing I have eaten in Asia that I refuse to put into my mouth again, including stinky tofu.  And please note that Wikipedia is not exaggerating when it says "From a distance, the odor of stinky tofu is said to resemble that of sewage or a garbage dump, even by its enthusiasts."  So, imagine how terrible the "thousand year old egg" must be if I would eat stinky tofu again if I had to!



[Update: after re-reading this post, it sounds like I am talking in very simple sentences--as if you all were my students.  Sorry . . . I had just finished a day of teaching EFL!  My brain was stuck in simple mode.]






1 comment:

  1. "From a distance, the odor of stinky tofu is said to resemble that of sewage or a garbage dump, even by its enthusiasts." LOL! wonderful sharing! i love 'joe' too, esp. with the fried oil dough in it like your picture above. However, i like thousand-year-eggs, perhaps because, well, i grew up eating them and maybe the Chinese genes help one like me to eat the weirdest tasting stuff. i don't care for stinky tofu myself, but 1000-yr-old eggs for some reason taste pretty good to me, i can take it or leave it. My favorite food in the whole world, ironically for an Asian person, is CHEESE!!! (No, i'm definitely not lactose intolerant... =P)
    i love your blog entries about food in Taiwan! =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...