it's official

That's right.  It is now official.  I am now (and have been for over a month) in the state of "extended singleness."



That is, at least according to Caroyln McCulley in her book Did I Kiss Marriage Goodbye?. There is more than one way to join this exclusive group of men and women, but I get to be a card-carrying memeber of the "extended singleness" club because I have a younger sibling who is married.



I was a little worried, selfishly, that I would hear many, many dreaded comments at the wedding.  "So, when are you getting married?"  "You're next!"  "Don't worry; your time will come."  But to my relief, it only happened once--after the bride and groom were on their merry way. 



I am so glad that I was able to celebrate and rejoice in my sister's wedding without anyone reminding me that I was not married.  It helped me so much to enjoy Sarah's wedding.



20432103After Sarah and Chad were pelted with bubbles as they ran to their car, and we had waved goodbye, one of my dear aunts said to me "you're next." 



I told her "well, maybe not."



To which she replied, "We'll just change the colors." 



I then said, "It might not just be that I'm not next.  It might be that I never get married." A look of shock filled her face, and I continued, "and, you know what?  That is perfectly ok." 



And she responded with a hug and the words, "you are right." 



And so, that is how I was initiated into my official state of "extended singleness."  To tell the truth, it wasn't too bad.



P.S. she was saying "you're right" to the fact that it is ok . . . not to the fact that she thinks I will never marry. :)



6 comments:

  1. What a great attitude you have. You know, I really thought I'd never marry. And I had a younger sibling marry before me too.
    I'm glad you have peace about the situation and are leaving it all in God's hands!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I didn't marry until I was 28. And looking back on those years from 20 - 28 I didn't feel uptight at all about "never getting married." Everyone else who asked me WHEN I was getting married must have felt uptight about it though. I guess I knew the Lord would provide at just the right time whenever He saw fit...so why force something if that something wasn't what was a perfect fit for me. And, you're right, if the BEST is to stay single, why wouldn't I want the BEST?
    Now, after almost 26 years of marriage I tell my daughters, 19 and 22, "Just think, I've been married 26 years with 4 kids...what does it even matter that I waited til I was 28? Y'all have nothing to worry about...you've got plenty of time to wait many years on the Lord for His best and then one day realize you've been married for 50 years with many children when you look back at His perfect plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - you are one amazing gal...you know that? I have a cousin who is a missionary in Orlando...I call him a modern day "Paul". He's an absolutely amazing single guy. He says he'll marry if that's what God has for him but he's doing what he knows he's been called to do...share Christ with the lost.
    I have no idea what God has in store for you Amanda but I know whatever it is...you are seaking Him with all your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your wonderful encouragement. It actually brought unexpected tears to my eyes this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess what? I am about to be overtaken by my SECOND younger sibling...so here is proof that life (for better or for worse) goes on... Still hoping... I have another 4 siblings (though all younger), so hopefully I'll "beat" one of those!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristy, I tease my brother that he is going to tie the knot before me. That would put me in somekind of special "extremely extended single" group--I am 12 years his senior. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...