flashback to memory lane

You know . . . sometimes you experience a few moments between sleep and awake--not fully either.  Today, all four alarms were going off simultaneously.  I had just got them all on snooze (they are all not right by my bed--they are scattered throughout the room), when I thought, next time they all go off I will get "up and at 'em."  Had not heard that phrase in years!!  Instantly, I pictured Adam in my head. 



AdamWhen I was growing up, my mother would say "up and at 'em" to wake us up.  For years and years (probably till I actually saw it written down), I thought she was saying "up and Adam."  I never was sure why Adam had anything to do with waking up.  But I just assumed that the first man was an early riser or hard worker and that my mom was just using a standard idiom. :)



3 comments:

  1. I wonder how many people have thought the exact same--I know I have! :) Even today I'll tell my son, "up and Adam." But I tell my girls, "up and Eve." Silly Mom!
    Thanks for sharing a neat memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute!
    I thought the lyrics to Old Rugged Cross that say "Where the dearest and best" were "Where the deer stand best".
    I had this beautiful picture of a cross, in a grassy meadow with deer grazing at the foot of it in my head....very tranquil!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Deb, I'm not the only one to make this mistake, huh? Oh . . .and "silly moms" are the best kind out there!!
    Very tranquil indeed, Bethany!! I can just see it now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...