burning money

Today as I walked home from work, I saw something that takes place twice a month in my neighborhood.  It happens at the first and the middle of each lunar month.  Today's lunar date is Feb. 16--so it is now the middle of the month.



In front of about two-thirds of the homes and businesses in my neighborhood there will little "card tables" set up with offerings--snacks, fruits, wine, and insence.  Then next to these tables were cans with hot flames licking the air. 



Some of the cans were just burning out front with no one around them.  Others had people standing next to them still tossing in the "spirit money."  It is believed that by burning the money, it is able to enter the spirit world so that ancestors can buy things they need.



Burning Sprit Money  Burning Sprit Money



Burning Sprit Money  Burning Sprit Money







Please pray for the Taiwanese. 



2 comments:

  1. Amanda,
    Wow, sad. I definitely will pray for the Taiwanese. When I have a chance I'm going to do some back reading here to find out more about you, why and how long you've been there and such. For now, I'm putting this prayer request in my journal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have heard about a lot of customs in Taiwan, but this is the first time about money.
    I work with someone who was in Taiwan as a missionary for 17 years - it truly is amazing. He also mentioned that even though they convert to Christianity, some of the customs they hold on to...
    I will pray for them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...