our newest houseguest

Let me introduce you to Troy, the little guy whose been visiting me and Gilby.

gecko 壁虎



In Chinese, they call geckos 壁虎 (bi hu, ㄅㄧˋ ㄏㄨˇ), which literally means "wall tiger."



Troy is not my first "wall tiger" guest.  When I lived in Meinong, a gecko with no tail stayed with me for a very long time.  I called "her" Margo. :)



You might know this already, but most geckos have no eyelids and instead lick a transparent membrane which covers each eye.



And, I didn't ask Margo and haven't asked Troy to leave.  Why?  They eat insects.  And, well, they don't speak English or Chinese, and they move fast!!  (I suppose snakes could fit into the category too huh?  But, I'd make sure they weren't welcome.  So, uh, I guess I also let Troy and Margo stay because they are harmless.)



I think Margo stayed inside most of the time, but Troy likes to come and go.  He disappears over the front door whenever I try to get too close.



So, have you ever had your very own house gecko?



4 comments:

  1. Eeek for house guests!
    Hey, check out my site to see an award for....um, well, for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, interesting housemate you have there. :) Hmmm, I guess I'd tolerate it to keep the bugs down!
    I have to ask, too, have you heard at all from Keziah?? I noticed she was on Carnival of Beauty so I thought you might have. She's not even answering e-mails so kind of a little bit worried about her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too cool! or alternately, very unique!
    only in Taiwan (and other tropical regions)! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the fortune of my own house gecko, but I'm loving yours!! What a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...