My Blogging Story

Since Inquiring Minds Want to Know My Blogging Story, I thought I'd oblige.  Actually, they wanna know yours too . . . so join in by answering these questions and leaving your linky-da-link-link here.



How did you start blogging?
I've had a website since 1999, and I would have loved to have started way back then if I'd known about it then.   In 2003, I found Blogger, but didn't quite get the concept, so I started an online database of stories from Taiwan that were totally static--not interactive at all. 



In 2005, I started to use MSN spaces since I used MSN messenger quite a bit back then. The biggest problem I've had with blogging is "who is my audience?".  Using MSN spaces answered that question for me since most of my MSN buddies were students.  So, I started by writing to my students. 



Then some how one day, I stumbled upon a blog written by about 5 stay-at-home moms.  Then clickty click click . . . I found my way to Two Talent Living (now known as A Gracious Home) and Always Thirsty (now closed). 



As I clicked and surfed my way through bloggy world, I instantly found that there was a possible audience out there other than my students.  And, it excited me.  So, I opened up a typepad account and haven't looked back since.





Did you intend
to be a blog w/a following? If so, how did you go about it?

"A following"??  No.  "Readers?"  Yes. 



I didn't really "go about it."  I like being a small blog with a smaller readership.  I do think participating in carnivals and being an active commenter on other blogs helps create e-relationships which can boost readership



What do you hope to achieve or accomplish with your blog? Have you been
successful? If not, do you have a plan to achieve those goals?

Mostly I was and still am interested in writing for my friends and
family back in America, as well as for other Christians who are
interested in knowing what life is like for a single, missionary gal
living in Taiwan.



I would like draw attention to missions in general and ministry in Taiwan in particular.  I want to showcase for others what life is like for me here in Taiwan.  I want to bring glory to God by writing about what he is doing in and through me as I live here in Taiwan.





I hope I've been successful.  I know there are times my blog has gotten "fluffy" or has lacked driven purpose, but I do have a few changes in mind to help that.



Has the focus of your blog changed since you started blogging? How?
Not really.  The only thing I can think of is that I've gotten less personal/intimate in some ways.



What do you know now that you wish you'd known when you started?
I wish I had thought through some of the privacy issues.  My website was with my full name, so I also started blogging with my full name.  Not so sure I would do that if I could start over again.





Do you
make money with your blog?

No.



Does your immediate or extended family know about your blog? If so, do they read it? If not, why?
Yes; they know and some read.  They are a main reason why I blog.  Even my grandparents and kid brother read my blog! :)  (Kid brother once even commented on the mispelled words in a story/post. A 13 year old correcting an English professor! Ha!!)  Oh, yeah, and my mom's cousin's wife, Cindy, reads my blog--she has been very encouraging all along the way. 



What two pieces of advice would you give to a new blogger?
1. As Taiwanese people love to say, "Don't think too much."  Once you've thought through the key issues and decided to blog, don't worry too much.  Play with your blog and enjoy it.  Look for what you like on other blogs and see how you yourself could emmulate it in your own way.



2. If you are looking for ways to build readership, participate in carnivals, memes, and go out into the bloggy-world and leave comments.  Just like you have to be a friend to get a friend. . . you have to (start by) be(ing) a reader to get readers.



16 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your "Blogging Story". Some good advise and observations. I personally feel blogs are one of the most effective advocacy tools we M's can use to get out our stories and raise awareness of our people. I believe it is because blogs are interactive and not some static information sitting out there waiting for someone to come along and read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you, Guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Don't think too much." Good advice! Which I follow constantly...without really even thinking about it! ;)
    Seriously, it is good advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Thanks for commenting on the blog! Have you tried the red bean frappuccino yet? :) I might just to say I have, or I might not for the same reason why I haven't tried stinky tofu. ha!
    Don't you love the music thing? I like all kinds, and most of the ones I list (except Chris Rice) bring back some good memories. Chris Rice is a new addition, so we're building those memories right now.
    Isn't being a PK fun?
    Hope your week is good. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great advice. I loved reading your blogging story. I made the same mistake of using my full name in my first blog. I also totally agree with advice #2. I just wish people would talk back more when I leave a comment (you've always been so sweet about that).
    I love the community (front porch) feel that blogging brings. I get to meet people completely outside of my "box".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you were the first missionary to visit my blog and leave a comment. I remember being completely excited that there was a missionary in Taiwan who read my blog. I have idolized missionaries since I was a little girl in Mission Friends. It has been so cool for me to read about your life and adventures and to pray for you when you mention specific things. I love your blog and greatly admire you and how you are spending your life for Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to bookmark you...I have a heart for missions and missionaries, and would love to keep up with your thoughts and be available to pray for you...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your story! Very interesting. My husband and I taught at a Christian school on Guam for 6 years. I love that part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Missions is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I love that you are blogging about it. I think us folks in the States need to be reminded over and over again of the beauties and needs in other countries! I have always enjoyed reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda,
    please get in touch with me via email re: the BEST DAD EVER giveaway. I have some great news for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First time here via Chilihead, and I'm delighted to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great answers!! And what a fascinating life you have. Thank you for being willing to share it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cickly click explains most of our reasons. Thanks for sharing your blog story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "A following"?? No. "Readers?" Yes.
    Oh, I like that description so much better. I think we all want readers or else, what is the point of devoting so much time and energy to something we love?
    And I love your advice at the end. And the Taiwanese have it right! Thinking too much can kill a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree: Readers v. Followers. Good point. ;D
    Thanks for playing.
    Chilihead

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so enjoyed reading your blog. You are truly living your life for God. I look forward to becoming a "regular", and learning more about your ministry. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...