another year, another weiya

This year, just like last year, my school had a "wei ya."  The WeiYa is a banquet that companies hold in honor of their employees at Chinese New Year.   



Chinese New Year this year is at the end of Feburary--because the Chinese calander this past year had an extra month.  We have leap years with an extra day; they have leap years with an extra month.  No kidding.



Anywho, even though Chinese New Year is still so far away, our semester is over, so our school had our weiya. 



Here are 9 of the 10 courses served at our weiya:



WeiYa Foods (Chinese New Year Dinner from company to employees)



1. Appetizer, 2. Thick soup, 3. Tasty fish,


4. sticky rice with crab, 5. shrimp, 6. peking duck,


7. baked mini lobster with cheese, 8. chinese herbal something or other, 9. tropical fruit



The one dish not shown was soup.



Here is a shot of the weiya from the 3rd floor of one of our buildings:



Wei Ya Tables



That's about 25-30 tables (some not pictured) with about 10 people per table so about 250 to 300 people all feasting at the same time, with KTV and "door prizes" to boot!



In fact, this year I actually won one of the raffle style prizes.



DSC09199



Inside my red envelope was a gift certificite to Carrefour (a super wal-mart kinda place).  My first time in four years to win anything at a weiya!! :)



And, one last part of a banquet--wedding, weiya, whatever--in Taiwan is that guests get to take home the leftovers in "doggie bags."  How great is that!!



Francis's Doggie bag



There are a few more pictures on my flickr set for the 2007 weiya.  Such as a before and after of the whole (yummy) fish, a close up of the duck heads on the plate, and more.



4 comments:

  1. Taking home food in a doggy bag is cool, but the only thing I saw that I MIGHT pack is the shrimp and tropical fruit. In which case, I'd have to have two bags, cause the shrimp would totally taint the fruit. How long did it take you to get used to the cuisine?! I'd starve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, that looks so tasty! You are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's Weiya??? I am an authentic Chinese, born and grew up there. I had no clue what you are referring to. If it is some kind of Cantonese pronouciation, please make sure check the corresponding Mandarin spelling before you publish it. I might sound too harsh to you, but I just don't want people to get confused in the future. Please, be careful when you teach others about China and Chinese! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wei Ya is the correct Mandarin used here in Taiwan to refer to a Chinese New
    Year dinner served to the employees of a business.
    Check here:
    http://tw.dictionary.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&p=%E5%B0%BE%E7%89%99
    I have never claimed to teach about "china" . . . my blog clearly states
    that I am talking about life in Taiwan.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...