life with a 12 year old

samwell . . . let's just say its different than living alone. Very different.  ;)



The things that I used to spend time on--blogging, surfing the internet, reading, listening to music--they have fallen to the wasteside.  Not because the 12 year old is demanding or time consuming, but because I am choosing to spend time with him.  It is great to have someone to talk to and share my day with.  It is nice having someone to watch TV with and then talk about what we saw.  It is fun having someone to eat with, and lay on the floor laughing with.  It is nice having him here.



Sam is actually an extremely patient and understanding young man.  We have yet to do any real sightseeing.  But, he has remained cheerful and not complained at all. 



I have been so very, very impressed with how he is doing here.  He is really taking to the combination of freedom and responsibility.  Having his own set of keys to my apartment delighted him to no end.  It is now his duty to lock up when we leave and let us back in when we return.  He decided he needed a trash can for his room (my guest room), so he went to the store and got on by himself.  To my surprise, this made him extremely happy . . . or should I say proud. 



Mickey
I have also been very impressed with his bravery in the language.  Although it does bother him when people try to engage him in full conversation in a language he does not know, he does not let not knowing Chinese stop him from going and doing.  His first week here, when we were visiting the local McDonalds, he asked me "how do you say 'ice cream' in Chinese?"  I told him; then he got up and went to the counter to get two of them. 



And . . . he has even been brave with the food too.  He has tried so many new foods.  He even tried and liked tofu and dried peas!!  There are even some of the foods that he has tried that he now requests when I ask him, "so what would you like to have for dinner tonight?"  And, last Saturday we went to a banquet with some of my former students.  He tried so many new things that one meal alone!  I was so super impressed!!  He is one amazing guy. 


www.flickr.com






















Life with a 12 year old is well . . . well, its full of fun and laughter . . . it's different than life alon, but it's good, real good.  Having my brother here is such a blessing to me. 



However, what this means to you, my dear blog reader, is less systematic blogging for the next two months.  There will be some posts about what's going on over here on our little island and what we are up to, but that is about it.  Just wanted to let you know what is going on.  Thanks for stopping by!! 



4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear he has been a blessing to you! I was worried you might feel overwhelmed. I miss the things you've described that a 12 year old brings into your life(laughter, watching tv together, sharing our day..). However, your dad and I are really enjoying our first "alone time" in over 28 years!! This was a good idea, Amanda!! Thanks for giving your time, money and patience to make his summer special! Lots of love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's great that you and your brother are having such a wonderful time together! and he's so brave with the language and food!
    i'm esp. glad for him that he's enjoying the food in Taiwan, sure makes me miss the food there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! My younger brother is 12 as well! Crazy coincidence! That is really neat that he can come for such a long time! I don't know how my brother would do with that kind of experience, but he is planning to come out with my parents next year. I'll enjoy reading about your adventures together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat to see everything through his eyes! What a trooper he is for making the journey, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...