I've been lost in the 1600's

In addition to going to the beach, another thing I love about winter vacation is that I have time to read for pleasure.  I have time to really get lost in a book--not just read a few pages before going to sleep.  Reading is a love that has been passed down to me from my grandparents and my parents.  I am in all sense of the word a bibliophile.



Most recently, I've been lost in 17th century England walking alongside the Puritans as they suffer from persucuition and struggle to surrive. 





I enjoy reading biographies and historical fiction.  And, one of the best authors of Christian historical fiction is Jack Cavanaugh. 



Bsp
I read his Book of Book Series on Bible translation a few winters ago.  A member of the Church my dad pastors sent me Beyond the Sacred Page and Glimpses of Truth.  I was sad when I finished reading these two books because I learned they were the only two in the series.  They were so well written and I enjoyed them so much, I wanted to read more about the history of the English Bible and its various translations.  In fact, just thinking about them makes me want to read them again--but I've long given them away to others to read and enjoy.



Anyway, when I was home this summer, on a whim, I bought the first book in Cavanaugh's first series--The American Family Portrait Series--The Puritans.  I recently read and finished the novel, and I was not disappointed at all!  TpuritansIt is a fantabulous book! 





Thankfully, this time the series consists of eight books.  Each book tracing a generation of the same family through American history.  I was surprised that over 3/4ths of The Puritans takes place in England, but it is true that The Puritans lived there first before becoming The Colonists



I cannot wait to get my hands on the next book in the series, so I can continue reading about the fate of the Morgan family and their faith.



Do you have a fave historial fiction book or author you reccomend?




4 comments:

  1. I have a really hard time finding good (in my opinion) fiction. Thanks for the recommendations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved all three of those books, but just to warn you, the series about the Puritans is not as good as the first book. The rest are okay...Puritans rocked! I too, was sad that tbere were no other books about the translators. Those were great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Psssst.....
    I happen to admire the Puritans tremendously! Just thought I'd let you know! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have not read these. Here from BCs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...