an elevator for the handicapped

Today, on my way to the parking garage to get my moped and go home, I had to take the elevator (ok, I didn't have to--I could have taken the stairs). 



I park near the "handicapped elevator."  One advantage of this elevator is that unlike the other elevators in the building it actually stops on all floors (a very special feature that few elevators in our school posses).  Other modifications to the handicapped elevator include Chinese braille, hand rails, a second set of buttons at wheelchair level, and a recorded voice. 



The voice tells you when you are arriving on another floor which floor you are at and that the door "wants" to open and it also warns you when the doors "want" to close (Chinese doesn't have the future tense like English does)--in not one but two languages.  It speakers to its passengers in Mandarin (what I speak) and Taiwanese (what I want to learn). 



Have a listen . . .







Just FYI, outside of the door of the handicapped elevator on each floor is special raised pebble tiling so those who can't see can "feel" where the opening is.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...