packing tip

After talking yesterday about all the stuff I bring back to Taiwan, I thought I could share a great packing tip.  Are you ready?  Here it is . . . a great packing tip from someone who has crossed the Pacific Ocean about twenty times (oh my that is almost a whole month of my life flying back and forth between Asia and North America!!) . . . alright already, here is the tip: you don't have to use a suitcase. 



my trunksIn fact, I don't even use suitcases at all anymore.  I only use these nifty footlockers now.  The airline maximum for "suitcases" is 62 cubic inches.  These wonderful stuff toters measure 61.75 cubic inches--can't ask for anything better!  Plus, you don't waste any precious packing space or weight with needless telescoping handles, wheels, or pockets.  They offer one giant holding compartment for all your travelling goodies.



They are also strong and sturdy.  I use the same one over and over.  They do a better job protecting my breakables than softsided suitcases do.  And, they weigh much less than your average hard-sided suitcase.  Moreover, one additional benefit is that you can use them to store stuff in after you have arrived at your destination.



And another wonderful reason to use them is they cost weigh less than even the cheapest suitcases.  I have found them in two colors--red and black--at Academy for about 20 USD.  I like to use the black ones with a colored suitcase wrap secured around it.  They are pretty unique and easy to spot.  This makes them really easy to identify at the "claim your suit case merry go round" at the end of a long trip. 



DSC00742However, they are not perfect.  They do not have wheels and usually require using both hands to carry.  But, if you are just travelling from point A to point B and wanna take a lot of goodies with you, nothing could work better.  I have managed 4 foot lockers, plus my carry-on bags all by my lonesome before.  That includes handeling at two airports, going through customs, and convincing the taxi cab driver I could get them all in his little yellow car with no problem. :)



Well, what can I say?  Using footlockers instead of suitcases works for me!!  Check out Shannon's site for more random helpful tips from bloggers just like you.



P.S. Trunks filled with goodies also make for great Christmas gifts to missionaries living overseas.  Well, the sister coming was an even better gift, but we didn't think to make her crawl under the tree too. :)



6 comments:

  1. I can second this one! I have five foot lockers that look just like those! I found mine at Walmart for about $20 also. They have made 3 round trips from Korea to America and been used as storage containers for the past 4 years as well and are no worse for wear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea. I will be traveling to China soon, and wish I could use this idea, but I guess it wouldn't be as practical when you have to visit approximately 3 different provinces. Too bad because I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! I love to bring way too much stuff back with me when I go to foreign countries, and I've had my share of items breaking, no matter how much I've padded them. I'm keeping a lookout for these cases now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic tip!! I had a sister-in-law travel from Germany back home with lots of fragiles and several of them broke (in her regular soft-sided suitcase). If I ever make a trip overseas I plan to bring at least one footlocker. I hope you'll share more of your travel tips on your blog - you are an expert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...