i don't believe in love

This week in my freshmen English classes which meet for 6 hours a week our topic was "marriage."  How appropriate right?  I didn't even choose the topic on purpose, it was just the next chapter in our book.

Anywho, talking about this topic with students here in Taiwan always makes me just a little bit sad.

Most of them--male and female--do not want to get married.  They claim they have absolutely no desire to get married.  I find this SO hard to believe.  As college students in America, I and my classmates/roommates were all about getting married and there was even the "ring by spring or your money back" saying going around, and we were teased and teased others about getting an "Mrs. degree."  (By the way, if that was true, I want my money back.)

But, maybe even things in America have changed too . . . I don't know . . . that was 10 or so years ago after all.

Here are some of the things college students (mostly female) are saying about marriage in my classes:

I don't believe in love.  It's too good to be true kinda like fairies.
Marriage just ruins dreams.
I don't want to get married because it just "ma fan" (trouble).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...