cultural gumballs??

Gumballs


I have a cultural question I need help answering.



When Sam and I were out touring northern Taiwan, we saw a giant gumball machine just like you could see in any mall or grocery store in the States.



However, each of these gumballs were enclosed in a little easy to open plastic ball. 



I don't ever remember seeing this in the States.  I do know that the Taiwanese are a little less than enthusiastic to eat with or get their hands messy (it took a lot of convincing to get elementary kids to finger-paint).  So, I thought this might be a cool cultural thing. 



So, I have two questions really. First, are gumball machines in the States now wrapping their gumballs?  Or does this seem to be an "Only in Taiwan" thing?



GumballsAnd second, here a multiple choice question for ya:

The gumballs were in little plastic cases so:

a. you don't get germs from your hands on the gumball

b. if you drop it on the floor you can still eat it

c. you can safely save the gumball for later

d. all of the above
e.
any other ideas why?



3 comments:

  1. Maybe to keep them from sticking together/melting b/c the heat and humidity are relatively high? That's my guess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that guess!! I think you are right on the money!!!
    Excellent thinking!! Have no clue why that option slipped my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...